Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:

>>    Ian> The latter point is because using dgit push is an ethical
>>    Ian> imperative, not because the two somehow have some deep
>>   Ian> technical linkage.  IMO almost *any* tutorial being written now
>>    Ian> about how to do Debian packaging, and which mentions git at
>>    Ian> all, ought to say to use dgit.
>>
>>I think this is at the crux of our disagreement.
>>I'm going to need to think about this for myself.
>>I think it's safe to say there is not a project consensus that dgit is
>>an ethical imperative.
>>And yes understanding that you believe that's the case makes it a lot
>>easier to understand the rest of your mail.
>>
>>As I said I'll need to think about whether I agree with that.  A lot of
>>my thinking in this discussion is that I consider dgit a nice to have,
>>not a requirement.
>
> For what it's worth, when you start calling me names (unethical)
> because I'm not using your shiny new toy, my immediate reaction is to
> decide to ignore further discussion on the topic.

I think there's a considerable difference between:

"I think ethically, everyone should do X, and I will try and persuade
you that this is correct"

And

"If you disagree with me that everyone should do X then you are
unethical"

...and that conflating the two as you appear to be doing so here is
quite unhelpful.

Regards,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."