Re: Removal of Wheezy and Jessie (except LTS) from mirrors

On 3/26/19 11:45 PM, Markus Koschany wrote:

>>>  Some vendors asks their users to use archive.d.o but maybe archive.d.o
>>>  doesn't have enough resource to deal with I'm afraid.
>>>  https://discuss.circleci.com/t/apt-get-update-return-404/29237/3
>>
>> Except for the LTS part of jessie, none of wheezy/jessie should be used
>> anymore, its out of security support.
>
> I think it was not a good idea to archive parts of Jessie more than one
> year before it is EOL. We have received several emails from users on
> debian-lts already who were surprised by the change. [1] [2] [3] Please
> send a heads-up to debian-lts before such interruptions happen or even
> better wait with the archiving until two months after a LTS release is EOL.
>
> Regards,
>
> Markus

The thing is, backports are *not* part of the LTS effort. Users having
the jessie-backports repository in a production environment when it is
not supported anymore is unexpected and unwanted.

IMO, the only issue is not warning in advance it would happen.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)