Re: Please drop anacron from task-desktop

On 08.03.19 20:38, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 08:01:35PM +0100, Christian Kastner wrote:
>> I intended to post a transition proposal here soon, but it's not ready
>> yet... but long story short: I believe we would be far better off moving
>> to cronie than maintaining our old fork.
>
> One question worth asking is which distributions plan to maintain cron
> moving forward--will some of the systemd-focused ones start dropping it
> in favor of timers? (No point in migrating to fedora's cronie, for
> example, if they stop using it in a year or two.)

Indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened for bullseye+1, I'm
almost counting on it.

OpenBSD and FreeBSD maintain their own forks, so we can probably count
them out WRT a systemd replacement.

I've looked at the cronie codebase and Fedora has put in a really
considerable amount effort, as RedHat needs something robust enough for
the enterprise market, I guess. IMO, that shows long-term commitment.

Christian