Re: Please drop anacron from task-desktop

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 10:22:12AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> writes:
>
> > anacron/cron don't have a built-in way to skip particular cron jobs
> > other than open-coding it in the cron job itself.
>
> Maybe we should just fix this?  cron is effectively maintained by the
> distributions anyway; there hasn't been an official upstream release in
> more than twenty years.  This seems like a reasonable feature to add.

Good idea!

The other feature is randomizing a field's value, to avoid load spikes
across a bunch of machines.  That's the reason for the vast majority of
wanting to use a .timer over a cronjob.

There's a problem with extending the syntax: we have not one but five cron
implementations in the distributions, and all would need to be in sync,
but once we plan to do the work, it'd be nice to gather such wishlist
together.

Meow.
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀