Re: Please drop anacron from task-desktop

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 15:15, Daniel Reichelt <debian@nachtgeist.net> wrote:

> > And surely we support other, strange and not so strange, choices,
> > sometimes more and sometimes less, but yawn.
>
> And yet Debian claims to support - pardon - offer init systems other
> than systemd for usage.
>

> Either: make a clean cut, kick out everything that has been obsoleted™
> by pötterd, thereby putting off (an unqualified number of) users
>

> Or: quit yawning and stick to offering different init systems - with all
> the shenannigans that follow.
>

> Sorry for flaming. Then again, yawning is not quite not-flaming as well.

Your response is useful. We do support both competing systems. It's
just really is pointless to exec() both implementation of the same
thing, with both of them checking if the other is present, and one of
them bailing.
I hope you can see how that is wasteful on the end-user systems.
Things that we know should not be executed, should not be run.
It's almost as if by default, we should dpkg-redirect out of the way
one thing or the other.
And if anacron has no jobs to run, it should self-remove itself from
cron too. Because when it has no jobs to run, we should not be waking
up for anacron to exit 0 without doing anything ever.
It affects things like battery life, CPU utilization on burstable
cloud instances, etc. It's not free, it has a carbon footprint.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.