Re: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/dballe

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 12:32:24PM +0100, Paul Gevers wrote:

> [1] Source packages that build binaries unknown to the archive currently
> need these binaries to be uploaded by the maintainers for reviewing by
> ftp-master in NEW. IIRC there have been multiple proposals to avoid
> these binaries from either being needed or being uploaded to the Debian
> archive, but so far the current tooling requires this. On the other
> hand, the release team has decided that we want all binaries in our
> releases to be build on buildd. For that we have enhanced our migration
> software to check for non-buildd uploads and add a block for them.
> Unfortunately, once uploaded we can't fix the situation for arch:all
> packages as binNMU'ing arch:all is currently broken. There is slow
> progress to improve that situation, see e.g. bug #916601.

I've encountered this issue myself in the past with a SONAME bump in a
library package.  It was rather surprising.

Would it not be possible to eliminate the need for the second
unnecessary upload by requiring two signed .changes files to go into
NEW?  A signed binary changes which would form the basis of the FTP
master review and a signed source changes to enter the archive if the
package is approved?

When I build packages I always end up with both changes files, so
requiring both for NEW processing would be a triviality (for me, at
least) and eliminate this peculiarity as well.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez