Re: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/dballe

Hi Enrico,

On 29-12-2019 09:52, Enrico Zini wrote:
> some time ago I uploaded a new version of dballe, which went through NEW
> because of a change in binary package names (SONAME bump, IIRC). It took
> two weeks to go through NEW and I turned my energy towards other things
> since then.
>
> Now I see that things got stuck for the transition to testing, and I'm
> asking for help figuring out what to do.

I'm happy to help.

> I have this:
>
>> This package is part of the ongoing testing transition known as
>> python3.8. Please avoid uploads unrelated to this transition, they
>> would likely delay it and require supplementary work from the release
>> managers. On the other hand, if your package has problems preventing
>> it to migrate to testing, please fix them as soon as possible. You can
>> probably find supplementary information in the debian-release archives
>> or in the corresponding release.debian.org bug.

The python3.8 transition is not a classical transition, so this normally
helpful comment from tracker.d.o doesn't really apply. Please ignore it.
If you would follow the link to the transition page, you would find a
link to a transition bug (#942106) and it will explain (already in the
title) that it is different from most transitions. (While writing this
response I realize it may be possible for me to "hide" this info on the
tracker, but I haven't done that before).

> And I have this:
>
>> Not built on buildd: arch all binaries uploaded by enrico, a new
>> source-only upload is needed to allow migration
>
> I was asked to do a binary upload to go through NEW, and now I'm asked
> to do a source only upload to go to testing. There are surely good
> reasons for that, and I wish there weren't.

I agree with this. And from your phrasing your not really interested in
the explanation, so find that at the bottom [1].

> I don't really have a new version to upload, but I suppose I need to at
> least bump the debian version with no other changes in the package for
> it to be accepted.

Unfortunately, indeed.

> Then, if I did that, would I be helping the python3.8 transition by
> enabling a migration to testing, or getting in the way by delaying the
> transition and requiring supplementary work from the release managers?

As explained above, you'll not be interfering, so go ahead.

> I feel a bit caught in a bureaucratic corner. Please help me with some
> directions to get out of that.

Hope this helps.

Paul

[1] Source packages that build binaries unknown to the archive currently
need these binaries to be uploaded by the maintainers for reviewing by
ftp-master in NEW. IIRC there have been multiple proposals to avoid
these binaries from either being needed or being uploaded to the Debian
archive, but so far the current tooling requires this. On the other
hand, the release team has decided that we want all binaries in our
releases to be build on buildd. For that we have enhanced our migration
software to check for non-buildd uploads and add a block for them.
Unfortunately, once uploaded we can't fix the situation for arch:all
packages as binNMU'ing arch:all is currently broken. There is slow
progress to improve that situation, see e.g. bug #916601.