Re: Usage of DEP5

Hi Scott,

Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:
> I'd like to suggest thinking about this from the perspective of new
> contributors.  Copyright-format 1.0 has a lot of specific requirements.  Do we
> really want to recommend that before someone can package software for Debian
> they need to learn this too (hint: I think no - there's plenty to learn to get
> started that's actually necessary).

I am surprised here, since I would recommend exactly the opposite: For a
beginner, a well-structured format is much better to fill in than a "The
copyright must be somehow documented in d/copyright".

CF1.0 helps since it makes clear which information to put there, one
doesn't have to think about the structure etc. Especially with the help
of the sponsor.

Following magic rules really helps starting to contribute.

Cheers

Ole