Re: Git Packaging Round 2: When to Salsa

On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 at 02:41:29 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> It does, it's specifically mentioned as a branch that will be
> rewinded. See the “Branch management for next and pu after a feature
> release” section.

gitworkflows(7) describes how git.git works, as an example of the workflow
of a particular project, rather than mandating particular workflows for
all projects:

    This document attempts to write down and motivate some of the workflow
    elements used for git.git itself. Many ideas apply in general

In git.git, next and pu are branches themselves, not prefixes for families
of branches. This means that branches called next/foo and pu/bar cannot
exist in git.git. The workflows and naming used to develop git, dpkg and
(for example) GNOME are all entirely valid, but they aren't the same.

(git's workflow also uses a single maint branch for updates to the latest
stable version, which is fine if you only ever support one stable version
at a time - presumably that's the case for git? - but doesn't work as-is
if you want to support two stable branches at the same time, like Debian
buster and stretch at the moment.)

gitworkflows(7) also mentions branches of the form ai/*. I'm not sure
what "ai" means. From context, these seem to be topic branches used to
integrate new features into next, and seem to be non-rebasing but it
isn't entirely clear to me?

    smcv