Re: [RFC] Proposal for new source format

On Wed, 2019-10-23 at 09:49 -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> Generating a reproducible source package given a particuar git commit
> is trivial.  All you have to do is use "git archive".  For example:

It is indeed.  Almost a tautology.  But it's not what I'm interested in
doing.  The focus is on showing the connection between upstream's
source and Debian, not on reproducing Debian's source.

Repeating my earlier example, I want to show whether openssl (insert
name of fully audited package here) in Debian is a bit for bit
reproduction of upstream's openssl.  It won't be, of course, so I want
the next best thing: an audit trailing explaining exactly why it's
different.

Harking back to the time we removed the randomness generator from
openssl, it's very nice to have a single patch say "it was removed
because it wasn't exercised in the tests.  upstream didn't respond to
requests for comment" rather than having it interspersed with the 650
odd other lines of other changes we carry with no explanation.