Re: [RFC] Proposal for new source format

Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> writes:

> I would like to have some comments on a large revision on the source
> format.  It also needs modifications to dak to handle some parts of it.

> - Source format version would be "4.0".
> - Each source includes an arbitrary number of "tar" layers, which are
>   applied sequentially and override files from previous steps.  I'm not
>   sure if we need tombstones to be able to remove files.

If we're going to go to the trouble of defining a new source format, I'd
prefer we embrace a VCS-based one rather than once again rolling our own
idiosyncratic representation of a tree of files and their history.  Even
if one is not convinced of the merits of uploading a true Git history of
the package, I think it's clear that a lot of us *do* want to do this and
see this as a very valuable step forward in providing a more complete
history of the package and of decisions made in maintaining that package.