Re: [RFC] Proposal for new source format

Hi,

On 27.10.19 01:20, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> I think we will need to support the source tar.gz for the forseeable
> future.  At very least, *deprecating* the tar.gz/tar.gz.asc format
> should be independent of question we also support a format that
> involves a URL to a git repoistory plus a signed git commit ID or a
> signed git tag.

We shouldn't forget that users may want to run their own mirrors for
whatever reason they might have, and anything that cannot be expressed
as "files in a directory tree referencing each other" is going to be tricky.

If I wanted to make a git-based archive format, I'd probably ship
bundles containing the upstream version that is being packaged plus all
commits on top of that and relevant tags.

That would also work as a base for modifications, because you can create
a shallow clone from a bundle and work inside that.

   Simon