Re: [RFC] Proposal for new source format

Russ Allbery writes ("Re: [RFC] Proposal for new source format"):
> That said, Bastian's point about what we should do if we find that the Git
> repository contains something that isn't distributable is valid and needs
> to be dealt with regardless.  I think one of our points of disagreement is
> that I don't see how this is a concern specific to the archive; we already
> have this problem because Salsa is an official project service, so we need
> to solve this problem for arbitrary Git repositories already.

It is also a problem that the dgit git service could face.  That is
also an official project service.  I have anticipated the potential
need to deal with this issue.

With the assistance of the dgit server admin, a maintainer can rewrite
the history; and the server admin can blocklist the troublesome git
objects (which will prevent them from ever being pushed again).  The
server admin can also of course simply delete a package entirely.

So far this has not been necessary.  I don't know how often a similar
situation has arisen with alioth and now salsa.

(I agree with everything else you wrote, too.)

Thanks,
Ian.