Re: [RFC] Proposal for new source format

On Tue, 2019-10-22 at 20:21 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> This history has at least one commit per upload, although ideally
> has the package maintainer's full revision history and upstream's
> full revision history.

I understand you like the history.  A lot of people do.  But not
everyone values it, and I don't.  The only uses I've found for it are
git-bisect, reversing hasty deletes, and auditing who contributed what
which is a handy weapon in a court room copyright battle.  I can count
the number of times I've done all of those things in my life on one
hand.  Regular backups do those jobs almost as well, and I have to do
them anyway.

Source code control becomes a real time saver when you have a lot of
people working on the same source - I'd go so far as to say
indispensable for that case.  Such merging of histories needs a small
amount history to work with of course, and that makes that small amount
of history equally indispensable.  However the typical Debian Developer
scenario of the "lot of people" being you and upstream is a fairly
degenerate case, so their is understandably get some argument about
whether a heavyweight tool like git adds much.  If you like it that's
great - but others thinking it's not worth the bother is also great.  I
doubt anybody who just wants a one off copy of the source is going to
see much in the way of greatness.

On Tue, 2019-10-22 at 20:21 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I don't agree with this definition of reproducibility.  You're
> defining reproducibility from inputs that I consider build artifacts,
> which to me is rather weird.

That's a perfectly understandable perspective from a Debian Developer.
But lets take a different perspective, or a Debian user installing
audited-crypto-program-x. What you are dismissing as "artefacts" is
exactly the information the person installing this needs to assure
themselves the Debian version of audited-crypto-program-x is a
reasonably faithful reproduction of the original.  If the packaging is
done well it will be broken down into small changes, each with a
documented purpose.

(None of this is rocket science or new, we are fairly close to it now.
One the reasons I am writing this is it would be if better - and
definitely not get worse at it.)

The point of defining the process of constructing the Debian source
representation as a "pure function" is to guarantee it faithfully
reflects the original source for and documented changes _only_ - not
some random crap living in stale state carried across from years ago.

From my perspective there are lots of ways a Debian developer could
store this stuff.  Quilt patches with their headers are one and they
work well enough from this perspective - but a Git repository with
branches representing those same changes works equally well, although
it would be nice if a git branch (as opposed to a commit) could have a
rant associated with it about why it is there akin to the quilt patch
header.  (I guess this would be trivial to add by insisting each branch
adds a description file to the debian/branches directory.)  The Debian
developer is free to use whatever representation works best for them,
so long as when I download it, I can easily see the debian version of
openssl contained a patch that changed random number its generator to
getpid(), along with the reason why.

AFAICT, dgit does not address this, at all.  It's written purely from
the perspective of the Debian developer.