Re: Init systems and docker

On Fri, 2019-10-11 at 18:49 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I have had bugs filed against more than one package I maintain regarding issues
> with sysv init scripts when used in docker.
>
> I have been told by docker users (I'm not one) that systemd as provided on
> Debian can't be used in docker.  I have no idea if that's true or not.  I try
> really hard to know as little about init systems as possible and trust our
> maintainers who work on such things.
>
> If it is true, then to the extent we want Debian to be useful for docker does
> that mean we ought to maintain sysv init scripts?  If it's not true, can
> someone point me to documentation that explains using systemd on Debian in
> docker?
[...]

As I understand it, Docker is meant for application containers, and
application containers should have a trivial init process that directly
launches a single application process.  No init script, or indeed any
shell script, should be used at all.

When people want to put Debian in a container, rather than a single
application, they would probably do better to use LXC, which I think
allows running pretty much any init system.

All that said, Docker has name recognition to the point that's is
almost synonymous with containers, so people are going to keep trying
to use it for things it doesn't do well.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program