Init systems and docker

I have had bugs filed against more than one package I maintain regarding issues
with sysv init scripts when used in docker.

I have been told by docker users (I'm not one) that systemd as provided on
Debian can't be used in docker.  I have no idea if that's true or not.  I try
really hard to know as little about init systems as possible and trust our
maintainers who work on such things.

If it is true, then to the extent we want Debian to be useful for docker does
that mean we ought to maintain sysv init scripts?  If it's not true, can
someone point me to documentation that explains using systemd on Debian in
docker?

Thanks.

I'm sure I'll fail, but I'm really not trying to start another email list
flamefest.  I'd just like to understand this a little better so I can properly
maintain my packages.

Scott K