Re: GPL for package under MIT license upstream; repack?

 ❦ 24 septembre 2019 10:41 +02, Gard Spreemann <gspr@nonempty.org>:

> A package I maintain (src:gudhi) was mostly under GPL-3+ up to and
> including the current version in the archives. Since then, upstream has
> switched to an MIT license, but with the caveat that many parts of the
> code has GPL dependencies and that "for practical purposes this code is
> GPL-3 for the user" [1].
>
> Instead of having to carefully figure out precisely which parts of the
> code should be considered GPL for the Debian package, I'm tempted to
> consider the whole codebase GPL for this purpose.
>
> Does this sound sane? Are there some particular steps I should follow?
> Should I create a Debian repack of the source where every file's
> copyright header reflects the above, or do I only need to do this for
> (header) files included in the binary packages? Or does it suffice for
> d/copyright to reflect it?

You cannot change the header files. The MIT license requires you to
leave them intact. Just document the license of each file in
d/copyright. No need to tell the whole work is licensed as GPL-3+ (you
may use GPL-3+ in the "wildcard" section of d/copyright if you want to
highlight it).
--
Use data arrays to avoid repetitive control sequences.