GPL for package under MIT license upstream; repack?

Hello,

A package I maintain (src:gudhi) was mostly under GPL-3+ up to and
including the current version in the archives. Since then, upstream has
switched to an MIT license, but with the caveat that many parts of the
code has GPL dependencies and that "for practical purposes this code is
GPL-3 for the user" [1].

Instead of having to carefully figure out precisely which parts of the
code should be considered GPL for the Debian package, I'm tempted to
consider the whole codebase GPL for this purpose.

Does this sound sane? Are there some particular steps I should follow?
Should I create a Debian repack of the source where every file's
copyright header reflects the above, or do I only need to do this for
(header) files included in the binary packages? Or does it suffice for
d/copyright to reflect it?

Any advice is appreciated.

[1] http://gudhi.gforge.inria.fr/licensing/

 Best,