Re: Git Packaging Round 2: SHOULD Not or MUSt NOT Github

On 2019, സെപ്റ്റംബർ 14 3:46:43 PM IST, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
>On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 09:37:00AM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
>> I will also support such a GR.  I started packaging gitlab so we
>don't
>> have to compromise on ease of use compared to github.
>
>And, despite a massive amount of efforts from you and others, packaged
>gitlab is not fit for Salsa use.  It hasn't also ever been in a stable
>release of Debian, despite being around since a year before Stretch's
>freeze.

I don't think looking at our current stable release cycle as holy standard for evaluating a software is the right approach. Backports was evolved to cater to a different need, it was not official when it was started. Similarly we now have http://fasttrack.debian.net being setup which includes gitlab.

>Looking at the number and complexity of packages needed solely for
>gitlab,
>I'd say that they'll collapse the moment you get busy with other tasks.

I understand this risk, that is the reason why I make sure more people join the team maintaining gitlab. I'm always mentoring new people and if you look at the tracker.debian.org for gitlab and dependencies, you will see more names uploading packages now. If you look at last 10 uploads of gitlab, 5 of it was not done by me. Initially gitlab inc was funding only me to work on gitlab packaging, now they fund me, Sruthi and Abhijith.

Earlier the gitlab package backports were only available from my people.debian.org repo which only I had access to. Now 3 people have access to fasttrack.debian.net already and the last upload was not done by me.

>This doesn't say anything good about Gitlab's design.
>
>(I'm quite obviously not bashing you, but your upstream.)
>
>I don't trust Gitlab's prolonged support.  Let's let it prove itself by
>being a part of a couple of stable releases -- and _then_ we can build
>upon
>its foundation.  That'd be a time frame already much accelerated
>compared to
>other core software projects.

That is not going to happen, instead we need to adapt ourselves to this fast paced development and fasttrack.debian.net is a step in that direction.