Re: Git Packaging Round 2: SHOULD Not or MUSt NOT Github

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 00:51:16 +0200
Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

> Sorry, WHAAAT ? That's shocking to read this from the DPL.
> Are you sure you didn't do a mistake in this sentence?
Sorry, Sam is right, he just read and understand the DSC $1 right. If
one work on Debian with non-free tools that will not make the result
non-free.

> There's absolutely no problem within the Debian project to forbid
> using non-free software. That's what I've signed-up for (ie: "debian
> will remain 100% free", aka the FIRST LINE of the social contract),
> and what I want, and I'm sure the vast majority of DDs agree.
Nope, you signed up that debian will remain 100% free - not for the
tools people work with.  And if debian would forbid the usage of
non-free software to work on some code - i would be the first to leave
the project. I don't use much non-free beside my graphics drivers and
some firmware - but nobody is entitled to forbid me to use bcompare or
github or maybe a commercial editor - nobody has the right to dictate my
tools. Regarding the software: Software has to be free and
should not depend on non-free tools - but to forbid non-free tools if
there are equiv. free interchangeble tools is far over the top.

--- snap  ---

> On 9/13/19 9:39 AM, Enrico Zini wrote:
> > This cannot be the discussion culture of a group where I can be
> > comfortable working with others.
Fully agree.

> I'm feel sorry to read these lines, though, I don't see how we can
> compromise on how much free Debian should be. I'm very surprised read
> you're not comfortable working in a group where some of us are
> pointing this out. Now, this makes *me* uncomfortable. That's not
> what I thought Debian was about then. I thought we all signed up on
> "Debian will remain 100% free"... How come we don't have a strong
> consensus on this then? Have some of us just given-up on software
> freedom?
And again - i'm not comfortable with this reading of §1 - like it or
not - if your opinion and reading is the consensus and supported by the
majority in debian it will be time for me to leave as fast as i can and
don't look back. Would make me a bit sorry for the then wasted years -
but hey, life goes on.

And i subscribed the same things as you do and had no problem to do so.
I'm all for free software, i spend the very most of my spare time to it
- not only in debian. But if the official reading will be your
  interpretation: Sorry, i'm out, can't and will not follow - in that
  special case there will be some projects that fit my needs better.

Cheers Alf

PS: Please read this in the context of my former posts - this
discussion would not happend if all the packages are hosted used debian
infrastructure - and i'm dead set against using non-free infra in
debian. One exception: I don't consider firmware and processor patches
as Software in the sense of DFSG - so the servers we are running should
be allowed to use the newest firmware and processor patches they need)

Cheers Alf

--
Alf Gaida
BDBF C688 EFAD BA89 5A9F  464B CD28 0A0B 4D72 827C