Re: Git Packaging Round 2: SHOULD Not or MUSt NOT Github

On September 13, 2019 10:51:16 PM UTC, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>On 9/12/19 2:47 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:
>> 1) there are significant problems we'd run into if we forbid non-free
>tools in
>> Debian work
>
>Sorry, WHAAAT ? That's shocking to read this from the DPL.
>Are you sure you didn't do a mistake in this sentence?
>
>There's absolutely no problem within the Debian project to forbid using
>non-free software. That's what I've signed-up for (ie: "debian will
>remain 100% free", aka the FIRST LINE of the social contract), and what
>I want, and I'm sure the vast majority of DDs agree.
>
>In the long run, there's going to be significant problems if we open
>then Pandora box of using non-free stuff to build Debian. To some
>degree, it has already been partially opened.
>
>Indeed, I'm being increasingly frustrated with what's going on in Salsa
>in general, and especially when it comes to using Google's
>infrastructure. We *must* get out of this. If going through a GR helps
>Salsa admins to realize a point of view that I believe I share with a
>large amount of people within Debian, then I'm all for it.
>
>On 9/12/19 3:07 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> We should resolve this with a GR.  Something like:
>
>I would second that GR. My opinion was that we would need a GR to
>enforce things, with this discussion, I'm even more convince we do need
>one. My problem was that I'm not as good writing nice English texts as
>you are. Good if you can do it.
>
>On 9/12/19 3:07 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> Non-Debian services are
>> acceptable here so long as they are principally Free Software.
>
>s/principally/fully/
>
>Please, no compromise here. (or is it that I'm badly reading your
>English, and that "principally" means something else than in French?)
>
>On 9/12/19 4:37 PM, Enrico Zini wrote:
>> I see you keep pushing things with a strong cohercive slant rather
>> than working on creating useful and attractive infrastructure to make
>> everyone's work easier.
>
>What exactly do you propose here? The Salsa admins look like not
>accepting more contributors, neither seem open to suggestions. They
>just
>do "their way". I've countless times wrote to both them and in public
>that I'd love to be involved to make things more free. They also
>refused
>to use a packaged version of Gitlab even before it was a thing. They
>decided to use Google service, without prior communication about it and
>agreement of the community. When some of us pointed out it wasn't ok,
>it
>was strongly rejected, despite any possible offer to use something else
>(like Swift storage of other providers).
>
>So, exactly what do you think one can do, given the current situation?
>Or are you suggesting someone opens a solution that would compete
>what's
>been done on Salsa? This sounds counter-productive to me.
>
>On 9/12/19 4:51 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> [...]

The logical conclusion of this line of argument is that I'm only allowed to do my packaging work on a computer that doesn't require non-free firmware blobs, because doing otherwise is using non-free tools to make Debian.

Are you willing to create a fully free software based CDN and commit to maintaining it for the foreseeable future so that we can stop using commercial CDN services without harming our users?

Heck, we should probably shut down any mirrors using hardware with non-free firmware too.

Scott K