Re: Git Packaging Round 2: When to Salsa

Quoting Russ Allbery (2019-09-10 03:50:47)
> I think using the debian namespace is the right default, particularly
> when we view it through the lens of what's best for the project.
>
> Think of it this way: we have a new Debian package maintained by
> someone who's maybe new to the project.  What kind of experience do we
> want them to have by default, and how do we want to store their work
> to reduce the risk of various failure modes with new maintainers?
[...]
> Obviously, we cannot and should not *require* using the debian
> namespace, and anyone who wants to can certainly create their own
> namespaces.  But I think it's important to note here that folks like
> Jonas are not the target audience for these recommendations.  Anyone
> who, like him, already is doing Debian packaging and already knows how
> Debian works can continue to manage their packages however they want.
> They already know the onboarding costs and are comfortable with them,
> the project has a track record with them and knows they're not likely
> to disappear, etc.

Thanks for the clarification, Russ.

I agree with the "debian" area being a sensible default.

@Sam: I apologize for misreading your proposal. Reading it again, I see
absolutely nothing wrong with it - it was simply me not reading properly
the first time.  Sorry!

 - Jonas