Re: win32-loader: Dropping Win ME/98/95 support, digital signing, Windows Store

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 4:18 AM Thomas Gaugler wrote:

> Therefore I intend to switch win32-loader from an x86-ansi to an
> x86-unicode installer. The drawback would be that Windows versions prior
> Windows XP would no longer be supported.

Would it be possible to build both versions in order to keep support
for ancient Windows versions?

> Furthermore I would like to increase user confidence and trust by
> digitally signing the win32-loader executable. How could
> win32-loader be enhanced with a Debian code signing certificate?

We have a code signing certificate for signing our shim binaries for
use with secure boot, probably a similar approach will be useful for
win32-loader.

https://wiki.debian.org/SecureBoot/Discussion

> Last but not least I wonder if there would be any value in distributing
> win32-loader via the Windows Store [2].

Sounds good to me.

OTOH expanding the visibility of win32-loader could introduce
significant user support load if people don't understand what the app
does, download and run it, make their Windows computer be any
different to normal (including introducing black BOOTMGR/NTLDR screens
for eg) and then come complaining to Debian or leaving bad reviews on
the Windows Store.

--
bye,
pabs