Re: win32-loader: Dropping Win ME/98/95 support, digital signing, Windows Store

On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 10:01:47PM +0200, Thomas Gaugler wrote:
> Furthermore I would like to increase user confidence and trust by
> digitally signing the win32-loader executable. As a side effect user
> friction could be reduced. For example Microsoft SmartScreen [1] warns
> the user with the message: "Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an
> unrecognized app from starting.". How could win32-loader be enhanced
> with a Debian code signing certificate?

I assume the secure boot signing stuff should be able to do that.  You
might want to ask ansgar@.

> Last but not least I wonder if there would be any value in distributing
> win32-loader via the Windows Store [2]. The idea stems from the
> availability of "Debian for the Windows Subsystem" in the Windows Store.

How does this store stuff work?  Any contractual agreement and so one
needs to be handled by SPI.  SPI is a Microsoft Partner and got the
"debian" publisher for all Azure stuff already.  I should be able to
help with that.

Bastian

--
A Vulcan can no sooner be disloyal than he can exist without breathing.
		-- Kirk, "The Menagerie", stardate 3012.4