Re: Consensus Call: Git Packaging Round 1

Le 01/09/2019 à 11:02, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :

> On 8/27/19 5:52 PM, Alf Gaida wrote:
>> Nicer would be "lowest common nominator" but "stone age" describe the
>> process of sending patches via BTS very well. Upps, sorry, not only the
>> process, but the BTS also.
>
> Exactly. Working with the BTS is a waste of time compared to github or
> gitlab workflows. I really appreciate to get bug reports and (mainly)
> pull requests on my Debian work on salsa or github, as it is much faster
> to discuss them and merge when ready.

I find both arguments quite valid:
- The BTS is more future proof, stuff on it will probably last longer
than whatever is on Salsa currently. There are bugs in the BTS still
available to readers from 1996 like #4000.

But 20 years old bugs might not be as useful to keep as not so old bugs.

I don't know all uses cases that one can have when searching and reading
old bugs, one might be to have an answer to "why program X is doing Y".

Still, at work I already found me failing to find an answer to that
question because of references to a older bug tracker that were not
available anymore.

- Salsa, more especially gitlab and similar tools, are more intuitive to
the user, and the interface allows to organize information on the
screen, especially for comments on a specific line of a patch or how one
will change bugs metadata (mail with special keywords to control@b.d.o
vs graphical buttons, textboxes and semantic highlighting).

Maybe there can be a global gitlab hook to send notifications to
nnn@bugs.debian.org from merge requests that have a "Closes: nnn"
somewhere in the description. I don't know much about feasibility of
this however.

I'm myself ok with the BTS but I have to send sometimes more than one
mail to control@b.d.o before having the right action on the bug done
(mistyped command, wrong syntax, bad bug status when merging bugs, ...).
So it is not as easy to use as a graphical interface.
Maybe I should just use command line tools instead of plain mails :)

--
Alexis Murzeau
PGP: B7E6 0EBB 9293 7B06 BDBC  2787 E7BD 1904 F480 937F