Re: tag2upload service architecture and risk assessment - draft v2

    Scott> Today the authoritative repository for what's in Debian is
    Scott> the package archive.  My read is you want to change it so
    Scott> that the package archive is an implementation detail hanging
    Scott> off of a set of git repositories and I am not at all
    Scott> comfortable with this concept.

    Scott> Your proposal completely changes the notion of what our
    Scott> package archive is while, IMO, pretending to be something
    Scott> else.

Actually, I think that this is so basic to the proposal that it may be
understated but is obvious and is not being hidden.

During the DPL campaign, a number of people, including Joerg, made
statements that I interpreted as explicitly wanting to make this change.
That is, they wanted to move our authoritative source format to Git,
possibly even getting rid of dscs in the medium future.

I'm sure that Ian and Sean had been thinking about this before the DPL
campaign.
But I think in a very real sense, they took that discussion and   tried
to show us what it might look like.

Now we all get to think about it and decide how their implementation
experience influences whether we think it is a good idea.

At least in my mind, this is all predicated on believing that moving
away from today's dscs toward git as authoritative source is actually a
good idea.
If you don't believe that, then you're never going to like this proposal
at all.

I guess you could decide you want tag2upload somehow even though you
don't want that transition.
I personally don't see how you get there unless you buy into the idea of
moving toward git as source.
Also, I want to make it clear that the DPL campaign didn't establish a
project direction.  It established enough interest that the idea was
worth exploring.
I'm not saying that because people brought this up in the campaign,
we've somehow decided to make a change.
I'm also not saying that this is somehow a DPL issue because it happened
in the DPL campaign.

As I just mentioned on IRC, I'm spending more time replying to these
messages than makes sense for the DPL to do.  (My replies are personal
to the extent that's a thing, but because I'm the DPL any reply I make
here inherently takes time away from other things.) I think someday the
DPL might need to get involved in helping make decisions in this space.
I think that's months or longer away.  So, I'm trying to disengage, but
doing a terrible job of it.  I guess in part because I see people
talking past each other.