Re: Consensus Call: Git Packaging Round 1

On 8/27/19 1:37 PM, Alf Gaida wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 27.08.2019, 19:18 +0200 schrieb Adam Borowski:
>> New stuff is always better.  Go Electron!
>>
> Like it or not - the idea of pull requests (Github) or merge requests (Gitlab)
> isn't exactly new. It might surprise you that people outside of debian are used
> to use it a lot. Anyways, it's the method i like most if available. If not
> available the good old patch via mail is ok too.

Exactly. The tracking, branching and merging code is around literally
since the IT stone age[1]. There were various tools and services built
around SCCS, RCS, CVS, SVN, Git and others and yet they were and still
are lacking features we really need for proper bug tracking in packages.
Salsa is a nice maintenance flow supplement but can not replace Debian
BTS. Sorry, that is how it is.

I fully agree with the initial best practices proposal stating that
merge requests in salsa have to be attended to or otherwise this feature
has to be disabled as per package maintainer preference.

Milan

[1] http://sccs.sourceforge.net/PWB.html