Re: Consensus Call: Git Packaging Round 1

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 16:08:59 +0100
Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> I think Sam's proposed change would be to document in the DR that a
> maintainer should handle change requests (including code
> contributions) sent to the BTS.  That would surely just be documenting
> our existing norm.  It seems to me that if you want to change a norm,
> it is up to you to argue for it.
>
> > Please remember that it should be easier and more fun to contribute
> > to Debian. Keeping packaging in the stone age jsut because some
> > people still live there is not what you should strive for.
>
> Please avoid pejorative language like "stone age".

Nicer would be "lowest common nominator" but "stone age" describe the
process of sending patches via BTS very well. Upps, sorry, not only the
process, but the BTS also.

We have git, we have salsa, it seems to me that using merge requests is
common sense and should not need any mention. Otherwise - if one is
happy to send patches via BTS - why not, as long one don't bother me
with. And this it a two way thing - i will not bother other people with
patches via BTS (nicer for: if not in salsa, gitlab or github, no
contribution, no patch)

Cheers Alf

--
Alf Gaida
BDBF C688 EFAD BA89 5A9F  464B CD28 0A0B 4D72 827C