Re: Consensus Call: Git Packaging Round 1

On 2019-08-27 17:52:02 +0200 (+0200), Alf Gaida wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 16:08:59 +0100 Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]
> > Please avoid pejorative language like "stone age".
>
> Nicer would be "lowest common nominator" but "stone age" describe
> the process of sending patches via BTS very well. Upps, sorry, not
> only the process, but the BTS also.
>
> We have git, we have salsa, it seems to me that using merge
> requests is common sense and should not need any mention.
> Otherwise - if one is happy to send patches via BTS - why not, as
> long one don't bother me with. And this it a two way thing - i
> will not bother other people with patches via BTS (nicer for: if
> not in salsa, gitlab or github, no contribution, no patch)

Please don't describe systems as "stone age" simply because you
don't see the value in them. For example, I appreciate the BTS
because it is truly free[*] software and I value software freedom.
Just because some people are happy to compromise these ideals and
use open-core[**] products they find convenient, that doesn't mean
that software freedom is a "stone age" concept from which Debian
should relieve itself.

[*] https://bugs.debian.org/debbugs-source/mainline/COPYING
[**] https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/blob/master/ee/LICENSE
--