Re: What is the status of cross pkg-configs?

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 5:27 PM Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:

> Not necessarily. Depending on what you need to cross-compile and its
> dependencies, you might already almost have everything you need. We do
> have cross-compilers available now in sid. We also have the mangled
> dpkg-cross'ed packages for the base toolchain (including libc), so you
> should be able to cross-build code that does not have "external"
> dependencies.

This is how Meson's test suite has been set up for a long time now.
Installing a package such as  g++-arm-linux-gnueabihf et al allows us
to do run the core cross test suite just fine. The current pkgconfig
issue arose due to us adding a cross-pkgconfig unit test. It uses our
own .pc files so we don't actually need any dep libs installed on the
system.

> More specifically, if I understand correctly, it doesn't require a cross toolchain to produce a correct meson package, but it does require a cross toolchain for full test coverage?

That is correct. In fact it would need several toolchains (armhf and
mingw, gcc and clang) but we only use one, because running the test
suite already takes forever. :)

I understand if this is too niche of a use case to add to Debian
proper, I can't think of a reason why anyone other than a build system
would want to do this.