What is the status of cross pkg-configs?

Hi all

Debian wiki says the following about pkg-config executables for cross
compilation in https://wiki.debian.org/CrossBuildPackagingGuidelines:

> When cross-building the build must select the correct tools who's output varies with architecture. This is usually done with an explicit GNU triplet prefix (arm-linux-gnueabi- ia64-linux-gnu-). This applies to the following tools: gcc, g++, binutils (ld, as, strip, ar, readelf etc), pkg-config

However these prefixed pkg-config executables do not exist e.g. for
armhf. The only one I can see is for mingw, which is provided by
mingw-w64-tools. This page refers to a package called
"cross-pkg-config" but that does not exist either:
https://wiki.debian.org/ToolChain/Cross

The only thing that is even close is
arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf-pkg-config, which is provided by the
pkgconfig:armhf package, but it is an arm executable so it can't be
used for cross building (not without qemu anyway).

I seem to remember using these prefixed packages in Debian some
releases ago but googling does not provide any useful information on
what has happened to them. They are available in Ubuntu:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/pkg-config-arm-linux-gnueabihf

Are prefixed pkg-config packages supported on Debian at all with
current sid? If yes, how does one get them installed? If not, how are
packages and end users supposed to handle cross dependencies,
especially in the case where you need both native and cross
dependencies at the same time?

Thanks,
(not subscribed, so please cc)