Re: Generating new IDs for cloning (was Re: duplicate popularity-contest ID)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 18:30:51 +0100, Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 14:22:31 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 12:01:13 +0100, Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org>
>> wrote:
>> >(systemd cannot create a mount point that doesn't exist yet on a read-only
>> >file system, which is why a zero-byte file is preferred.
>>
>> but you can bind-mount over a file? I wasn't aware of that.
>
>Yes, you can bind-mount a directory over another directory, or a
>non-directory non-symlink over another non-directory non-symlink.

I wasn't aware of that. How neat.

>bubblewrap and other container-runners often use this when setting
>up containers - for example if you have a Flatpak app installed, try
>something like
>
>    flatpak run --command=mount org.gnome.Recipes
>
>and you'll see that the container's /etc is a mixture of read-only
>bind-mounts from the host system and read-only bind-mounts from the
>runtime, some of which are individual files.

That must be a horrible clutter in mtab though.

>> So /etc/machine-id should be in Policy?
>
>Probably yes, if that proposal has consensus, although a prerequisite
>for it being in Policy would be to have an implementation of making it
>exist even on systems with neither systemd nor dbus installed (Policy
>is meant to document what's true, not what we hope will become true).

We should also have a document containing what we want to have in the
future, such as a comprehensive roadmap. The absence of leadership in
this regard is probably one of the reasons why we have lost so much
momentum in adopting new technology.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |