Re: Git Packaging Round 1: Hopefully Easy Stuff

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:25:05 +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:

> On 2019/08/14 20:02, Sam Hartman wrote:
> > If you're going to set up a repository for Debian packaging on Salsa,
> > you need to either:
> > 1) turn off merge requests
> That would be quite horrible IMHO, this is the de facto method that
> young (let's say under 35 years old) developers use to submit
> improvements to other projects. We have all the infrastructure and tools
> conveniently in place to accommodate this, it seems suboptimal to treat
> MRs as a second class citizen.

<rant type="unscientifc">
Most MRs I've seen so far on salsa lead to packages not building
anymore.
</rant>

And I dispute that we have "the infrastructure and tools". Because
gitlab is targetted at single projects of single persons; for a team
you don't know who gets mails about MRs / who has enabled those
notifications. -- Whereas bug reports arrive at the maintainer
mailing list.

(And the poor support for teams in gitlab is a general issue IMO.
But that's another discussion.)

> > 2) Monitor them and process them.
> >
> > I don't want to get into how frequently you look at merge requests just
> > as I don't want to get into how responsive you need to be to the BTS.
> > But I hope we can agree that if you're going to have merge requests
> > enabled that they cannot go into a black hole.
> >
> > I think the question of whether people should use merge requests is more
> > complex.  Sean pointed out some reasons why we might prefer the BTS.
> > And yet it's clear that many people do find merge requests useful.
>
> The Debian QA DDPO pages will show you whether you have MRs on the same
> page where you see how many open bugs, RC bugs, lintian errors, etc you
> have. This makes it super easy to notice MRs when doing routine checks
> of your general package health overview.

DDPO is not a useful tool for maintainers with lots of packages and
for teams. (And I don't see any MRs there but that might be
correlated. If you have lots of time, grab a $beverage and load
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org
)

Personally I am monitoring MRs and I'm acting on them. But my
enthusiasm about them is quite limited so far. So I think Sam's
attempt in wording ("turn them off or monitor and process them") is
quiter accurate.

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe