Re: Git Packaging Round 1: Hopefully Easy Stuff

    Philip> Jonathan Carter <jcc@debian.org> writes:
    >> On 2019/08/14 20:02, Sam Hartman wrote:
    >>> If you're going to set up a repository for Debian packaging on
    >>> Salsa, you need to either:
    >>>
    >>> 1) turn off merge requests
    >>
    >> That would be quite horrible IMHO, this is the de facto method
    >> that young (let's say under 35 years old) developers use to
    >> submit improvements to other projects. We have all the
    >> infrastructure and tools conveniently in place to accommodate
    >> this, it seems suboptimal to treat MRs as a second class citizen.

    Philip> Would it not be possible to have a webhook (or similar) that
    Philip> could receive notifications of MRs, and automatically create
    Philip> a bug report containing the current state of the MR as a
    Philip> patch?

It would be possible to have many things.
I think it's great that you're coming up with these ideas, and I hope
that you or someone capture them somewhere.

If such a web hook existed, it would be a great way to make merge
requests available for a certain class of maintainers.

I don't think they fit well into a discussion I'm facilitating about
what our current best practices should be.

While we do sometimes defer choosing a best practice because something
else might be possible, I think that decision to defer articulating what
we have today is rarely in and of itself a best practice:-)