Re: Building GTK programs without installing dconf-service?

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 19:52:42 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Simon McVittie (2019-08-14 17:59:00)
> > I think this is a bit of a lose/lose situation: if we downgrade the
> > Depends to Recommends, as long as there is an (IMO unwise) meme that
> > globally disabling Recommends is the right thing to do for "efficient"
> > and "minimal" systems, people will install GTK programs on their
> > desktops with Recommends disabled, and be surprised (and/or open
> > high-severity bugs) when settings aren't saved as a result.
>
> Please follow Debian Policy, and let those misguided souls have their
> surprises.

Which point in the dependency chain do you think should be weakened from
Depends to Recommends? I think the dependency from libgtk-3-0-common
generated by dh_installgsettings is probably the most appropriate, or at
least, least inappropriate? (This would require debhelper changes to add
a dh_installgsettings option analogous to dh_shlibdeps -- -dRecommends,
so that the dependency could be moved to ${misc:Recommends}.)

When an angry user turns up on the BTS complaining that GTK has a
grave bug (configuration lost) or a serious bug (Policy §3.5, missing
dependencies), is there consensus that this should be considered to
be not-a-bug and closed?

I thought I remembered Policy having something to say about weakening
shared libraries' dependencies on services to Recommends or weaker
(e.g. libdbus-1-3 only Recommends dbus and does not depend on it, even
though it's of little use without dbus), but now I can't find it in
Policy, and I also can't find a bug asking for that. Does this exist,
or did I imagine it?

    smcv