Re: Why keep upstream sources in Git at salsa.d.o?

Am Montag, den 12.08.2019, 19:53 +0200 schrieb Marc Haber:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 15:03:51 +0200, Daniel Leidert
> <dleidert@debian.org> wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, den 11.08.2019, 01:55 +0800 schrieb Drew Parsons:
> > > Upstreams are starting to use git lfs in their git repos.  In some cases
> > > the git-lfs references files are retained in the source tarball, not
> > > replacing the reference with the actual files.  This happens for
> > > instance with github repos (I gather it happens because the tarball is
> > > generated with 'git archive' [1]).  An example is the mesh files [2] in
> > > pygalmesh 0.4.0 [3].
> >
> > What I really don't understand is, why we duplicate upstream files (now
> > even
> > really large files) on salsa.d.o. The debian/-only approach (or "overlay"
> > layout in git-buildpackage) works fine. Salsa CI also works just fine.
>
> When I started with mantaining my packages in git, that layout way not
> yet available. Actually, this was my major beef against git since I
> had been using this approach happily with svn und svn-buildpackage for
> years.
>
> I haven't heard that a debian/ only repository layout is possible with
> git-buildpackage before today.

Works nicely. I keep a file debian/gbp.conf usually with the content

> [DEFAULT]
> pristine-tar = false
> debian-branch = master # or debian/sid
> verbose = true
>
> [buildpackage]
> overlay = true

in Git for others; and I use debian/.gitattributes with this content:

> .gitattributes export-ignore
> salsa-ci.yml export-ignore
> gbp.conf export-ignore

to keep the Debian package clean.

The default salsa-ci.yml works very well with this too. We use this layout for
most of our packages in the debichem team. As far as I heard, the KDE team uses
it too.

`gbp pq` doesn't work with this layout.

Regards, Daniel