Re: do packages depend on lexical order or {daily,weekly,monthly} cron jobs?

On Mon, 05 Aug 2019 22:29:41 +0200, Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org>
wrote:
>With a systemd timer you can declare conflicts as well as a
>lineralization if so needed.

How would that be configured? Should all timers generated from
cron.fooly be grouped together (in a target?) and conflict with that
very target?

>I also question the "knowledgeable people will not have too much
>trouble". Export state as granular as possible and there is no guesswork
>required. I have no doubt that my co-workers can do this. But I want
>their life to be as easy as possible.

Amen.

>Similarly I wonder what the external monitoring should be apart from
>injecting fake jobs around every run-parts unit in this case. Replacing
>run-parts with something monitoring-aware? Then why not take the tool
>that already exists (systemd)?

I think Ian is referring to mechanisms (that I have actually seen)
that automatically process incoming e-mails sent from cron in a
central place and create alerts or tickets.

>And finally, the load spikes: Upthread it was mentioned that
>RandomizedDelaySec exists. Generally this should be sufficient to even s
>out such effects. I understand that there is a case where you run a lot
>of unrelated VMs that you cannot control. In other cases, like laptops
>and desktops, it is very likely much more efficient to generate the load
>spike and complete the task as fast as possible in order to return to
>the low-power state of (effectively) waiting for input. I suspect that
>there is a conflict between the two that could be dealt with by
>encouraging liberal use of DefaultTimerAccuracySec on the system-level.

Amen.

>I understand that Debian inherently does not distinguish between the two
>cases. I'd still expect a Cloud/Compute provider to offer default images
>in any case that could be preconfigured appropriately.

I am one of those customers who almost never uses the images offered
by the hoster whereever this is possible. Guilty as charged, your
honor.

>I apologize that I think of this in terms of systemd primitives. But the
>tool was written for a reason and a lot of thought went into it.

I agree with that, no apology needed, imo.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |