Re: Salsa.d.o: Please support the implementation request for a global config option to change the default for "Custom CI config path" in Gitlab

Bastian Blank writes ("Re: Salsa.d.o: Please support the implementation request for a global config option to change the default for "Custom CI config path" in Gitlab"):
> The setting is per project, so it is available.  For now I say that
> changing this globally is too disruptive.
> But as I wanted to try this something:  Please describe why we _should not_
> set such an option globally.  This is just helping to see if you
> understand both sides.

The main downside I can think of making this change is that existing
salsa gitlab ci users will have to either rename their file
(preferred) or change their repo config.

Ie, the disruption you refer to above.

However:

gitlab is still quite new, and those projects with a gitlab ci yml
file are still rather "leading-edge" and will probably not find this a
big problem.  This would be a one-off change to a fairly new
interface.

Conversely, retaining the current default setting will cause needless
friction for all new projects forever (or, at least, so long as gitlab
and salsa exist).

Ian.

(maintainer of a package with an upstream .gitlab.yml which therefore
causes trouble in salsa)