Re: systemd services that are not equivalent to LSB init scripts

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 12:30:16PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> writes:
>
> > inetd uses stdin/stdout to communicate with the daemon and have to
> > launch one instance for each client connecting. systemd.socket pass a
> > regular listening socket on first connection to the daemon and the
> > daemon can then serve multiple clients.
>
> I believe the wait option for at least xinetd behaves in roughly the same
> way, although it's normally only used for UDP services.
>
> There seems to be a clear infrastructure gap for the non-systemd world
> here that's crying out for some inetd-style program that implements the
> equivalent of systemd socket activation and socket passing using the same
> protocol, so that upstreams can not care whether the software is started
> by systemd or by that inetd, and provides an easy-to-configure way for
> Debian packages to indicate this should be used if systemd isn't in play.
> It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to implement such a thing,
> but I don't think it already exists.

https://bugs.debian.org/922353

https://gitlab.com/dkg/socket-activate

In the words of Douglas Adams, "there is another theory which states
that this has already happened" :)

> I believe the convention in the runit/daemontools world is to decide this
> is not an important problem to solve and lots of small running daemons is
> not something that needs to be avoided, and to use tcpserver or some
> equivalent that behaves like inetd for a single service.  Even here,
> though, I'm not sure if any of those implementations use the same socket
> passing protocol as systemd, and I'm not sure if they're yet trivial to
> configure as part of Debian packaging.

tcpserver certainly does not, it implements the UCSPI protocol, which is
a good one in itself, but it is still a different one.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@{ringlet.net,debian.org,FreeBSD.org} pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13