Re: Bits from the Release Team: ride like the wind, Bullseye!

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 08:17, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 09:34:07PM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> You indeed missed someone (for obvious reasons): I'd like to thank
> the release team for their excellent work!

+1

+lots

> On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 02:47:00 +0100, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> > The release of buster also means the bullseye release cycle is about to begin.
> > From now on, we will no longer allow binaries uploaded by maintainers to
> > migrate to testing. This means that you will need to do source-only uploads if
> > you want them to reach bullseye.

> But this part not so much.

> Forcing hundreds of maintainers to do two uploads for a new package
> seems to me like the wrong solution for the conflicting interests of
> the ftp team (wants to see binary packages for review in NEW) and the
> release team (doesn't want to see binary packages in testing not
> built by buildds).

FWIW in Ubuntu, packages go through NEW as source and then as soon as they build they go back through as binaries. It seems to work OK.

There's also a third concern: we need a way to bootstrap B-Depend cycles.
Such as a self-hosting compiler, cyclical dependencies within an ecosystem,
importing a whole new architecture, etc.

But the ban is only on developer-built binaries in testing. So you can upload with binaries to unstable, then once they are published make a source-only upload, the binaries from which will migrate. Sure it's an extra upload or two but it's not that complicated really.

> I hope that there will be a better solution for this dilemma in the
> not too distant future. If throwing away binaries is too problematic,
> as Niels mentioned, maybe SomeThing™ could build a binary package for
> the ftp-masters for source-only uploads to NEW. Or people knowing the
> whole infrastructure better than me have smarter ideas :)

The -ports team has an "unreleased" suite that buildds can use both for
Deps and B-Deps, and people can use before patches are upstreamed.
Something of this kind could be done for binary uploads.

Some dude named Ken Thompson had an insightful comment here, but that's
the easiest solution for now.

Well there's no getting away from that.

Cheers,
mwh