Re: Detecting (upcoming) problems using automatic tests

[adding jak@ to CC as requested; no need to CC me, however...]

Hi Julian,

> I was just thinking that adding deprecation warnings and stuff
> to software is "nice", but the problem with warnings is that they
> tend to not break tests.

I'm guessing you have a particular package or use-case in mind that
sparked this idea — could you share? That might help make this abstract
concept a little more concrete.

I'm also assuming that you meant for this to be wider than just GCC
so, for example, making -Werror global wouldn't be sufficient as it
wouldn't catch, say, warnings from pure-Python packages.

> I feel like it would be nice to come up with a standard environment
> variable to turn warnings into errors, so we can ensure issues are
> fixed and the warnings are actually useful.

Hm, although perhaps DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS is the prefered place for this
kind of toggle rather than an environment variable?

Regards,

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb