Re: Using dh causes configure to be run twice?

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 01:16:03 -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> In my attempt to convert e2fsprfogs's debian/rules to use dh, I'm
> running into yet another frustration with dh, which is that it insists
> on running the configure script twice.

This has not been my experience with other Autotools packages. dbus is
my usual example of a relatively complicated Autotools build, and it
only enters 'debian/rules override_dh_auto_configure' once (which as it
happens runs configure three times - for normal, debug and udeb builds -
but that's deliberate and dbus-specific).

  % dh build --no-act
   dh_testdir
   dh_update_autotools_config
   debian/rules override_dh_autoreconf
   debian/rules override_dh_auto_configure
   debian/rules override_dh_auto_build
   debian/rules override_dh_auto_test-arch
   debian/rules override_dh_auto_test-indep
   create-stamp debian/debhelper-build-stamp

I don't think we had that problem with glib2.0 either, although glib2.0
in stretch is old enough that it's still using cdbs, while glib2.0 in
buster is new enough that it has switched from Autotools to Meson, so I
don't have any buildd logs to provide evidence of that.

Perhaps you could share your latest version of d/rules somewhere?

> The problem is that dh is trying to use build-arch and build-indep:
>
> % dh build --no-act
>    debian/rules build-arch
>    debian/rules build-indep

dbus doesn't explicitly define build, build-arch or build-indep targets,
it leaves that to dh's "%" rule. Does e2fsprogs perhaps explicitly define
those targets?

    smcv