Re: Dropping Release and Release.gpg support from APT

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 08:53:04PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
>So,
>
>we currently have code dealing with falling back from InRelease
>to Release{,.gpg} and it's all a bit much IMO. Now that buster
>has been released with an InRelease file, the time has IMO come for
>us to drop support for the old stuff from APT!
>
>Timeline suggestion
>-------------------
>now         add a warning to apt 1.9.x for repositories w/o InRelease, but Release{,.gpg}
>Aug/Sep     turn the warning into an error, overridable with an option (?)
>Q1 2020     remove the code
>
>My idea being that we give this a cycle in the Ubuntu 18.10 stable
>release before we drop it, so people are ready for it.
>
>Why remove it?
>* It's annoying UX to have repositories with Release files and the "Ign" lines
>* Handling the fallback from InRelease to Release{,.gpg} involves some abstractions
>  and logic and the less logic we have in security-relevant file fetching, the better

Can we please slow this kind of change down? We normally look for a
full cycle in Debian stable before making breaking changes. Your
proposed schedule will potentially bite people using stable -
the deprecation warnings will have come and gone.

"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt