Re: The noudeb build profile and dh-only rules files

On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 01:25:32PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> I'm the middle of an effort to simplify the debian/rules file for
> e2fsprogs so that someday, maybe, I'll be able to convert it to use
> dh.  One of the things which I noticed while trying to rip things out
> of debian/rules to make the dh conversion easier (possible?) was the
> support for noudeb.
>
> How important is noudeb, and why is defined in the first place?

I'm afraid memory has failed me in terms of why it was defined, other
than perhaps performance for people doing rapid iteration.

> And will debhelper do the the right thing in terms of filtering out
> udeb packages if noudeb is psecified in DEB_BUILD_PROFILES?  If
> support of noudeb is free in the brave new dh-only world, that's
> great.

If the udeb stanzas in debian/control have "Build-Profiles: <!noudeb>",
then debhelper will honour that when deciding which packages to build,
so yes, anything built into debhelper should just work.

Even after simplification, you may well have remaining code in
debian/rules that refers to udebs, or an extra udeb build pass, or
something else that dh wouldn't be able to handle by itself.  In such
cases, you can wrap that code in a dh_listpackages check of the kind
described in
https://wiki.debian.org/BuildProfileSpec#The_Build-Profiles_field.

HTH,