Re: The noudeb build profile and dh-only rules files

On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 07:36:30PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Theodore Ts'o, le lun. 08 juil. 2019 13:25:32 -0400, a ecrit:
> > How important is noudeb, and why is defined in the first place?
>
> My usage of noudeb is mostly to avoid the two-times-longer build time

It used to be that I built e2fsprogs twice; once for udebs, and once
for the "normal" build.  I'm planning on ripping that out as being
complexity that seems incredibly painful to convert to using dh, and
the cost seems to be growing the installed size of e2fsprogs-udeb by
145k (or roughly 15%).

Back in the days of boot/root installation floppies, saving every last
byte was clearly important.  My plan is to drop it to save developer
maintenance headache, and it also avoids the double-compilation build
time extension.  (I assume that's what you were referring to when you
mentioned "avoid the two-times-longer build time", right?)

	  	     		      	    	   - Ted

P.S.  If anyone thinks that increasing the size of the debian
installer by 145k is unacceptable, please let me know now....