Re: OpenCL / handling of hardware-specific packages

Thank you for the heads up, I am not following debian-devel@ these days.
Please keep me on Cc.

[Guillem Jover]
> The closest thing I'm aware of is isenkram, but re-checking it now, it
> looks it's now tailored for hot-plugged hardware? Its README contains
> interesting information on alternatives and similar solutions. CCed
> Petter for further input.

Not quite sure why you believe it is tailored for hot-plugged hardware.
What should be updated to avoid such impression?  It can definitely
handle any package with hardware mapping in AppStream.

Isenkram provide a background daemon 'isenkramd' for handling
hot-plugged hardware, and various scripts for one off runs related to
more fixed hardware.  You can run 'isenkram-lookup' to get a list of
packages suited for the currently identified hardware,
'isenkram-pkginstall' to get a interactive list of packages with the
option to install them, 'isenkram-autoinstall-firmware' to automatically
install the firmware relevant for the current machine, and even
'tasksel' after installing the isenkram-cli package to get a tasksel
option to install all the packages listed by isenkram-lookup.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen