Re: ZFS in Buster

On 01.07.19 21:06, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:

Hi,

> IIRC the whole things is actually about crypto stuff. Why don't zfs> folks just use the standard linux crypto api (potentially introduce a>
new algo if the existing ones aren't sufficient) ?
Addendum: just had a quick scan through the code and found a completely
own AES implementation.

Seriously ?

Completely redundant cipher implementations from an likely understaffed
project is something I wouldn't like to have on my machines, not in the
kernel. There're just too many pitfalls (especially w/ buggy x86 CPUs)
in crypto programming - I wouldn't dare to implement that myself and
run it on production systems.

And for performance, many folks like to use hw acceleration. Linux
crypto api already provides that.

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult