Re: Let's consider using year based release identifiers [was: Re: getting rid of "testing"]

On 6/29/19 3:33 PM, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> Am 29.06.19 um 15:28 schrieb Andrey Rahmatullin:
>> On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 01:53:35PM +0200, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
>>> TLDR; year based release identifiers should be prefered since they are
>>> much more intuitive to reason about than codenames and sequentialy
>>> numbered release identifiers.
>>>
>>> If Debian should improve/change release identifiers, then I'd suggest to
>>> ponder a year based versioning scheme (as Ubuntu is using).
>> This only works with Ubuntu because they set the release date in advance.
>
> You assign the year to the release identifier when the release is ready:
> release_id = now().year(). There's certainly some infrastructure stuff
> that needs that release_id that needs to be prepared in advance, but I
> think that can be done pragmatically, when the release is "99%" ready.
> Am I missing something?
> *t

Thanks, but no.

In some software we have in buster, they already have hard-wired the
names of the 2 next Debian releases. How would you do this with years if
we don't know the release dates in advance?

Besides this, I very much dislike the way it sounds. :)

Thomas