Re: getting rid of "testing"

Michael Stone writes ("Re: getting rid of "testing""):
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 01:29:44PM -0300, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> >As a data point, having "stable" and "testing" stay around is very
> >useful for CI purposes. For example on ci.debian.net all our setup uses
> >"stable" and "testing" instead of the release codenames, and it's useful
> >to have a system that does not need manual intervention when the meaning
> >of "stable" and "testing" changes.
>
> Ideally, a mapping of what is currently "stable" or "testing" or at
> other levels of support would be easy to determine programatically, so
> you could avoid manual intervention for those cases and make it easy to
> support other cases without having to either manually configure things
> *or* make a bunch of new ugly symlinks.

It is available via the ftpmaster API service, and by reading symlinks
in archive mirrors.  I think the idea of having this information in a
.deb too (ideally kept up to date in all in-support releases,
including LTS) is a good one.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't have version aliases.

Stepping back a bit:

Can we have a comment from ftpmaster on their view of the rough
consensus here?  I think a Last Call (time-bounded) would be good.
(I really liked the approach Sam took with the dh discussion.)

When an ftpmaster decision has been made, we can close this thread
(which is starting to become a distraction).

Thanks,
Ian.