Re: speeding up installs

On 6/8/19 7:45 PM, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> On 2019/06/08 19:36, Simon McVittie wrote:
>> If the pre-prepared installation image is in a suitable format (for
>> example an unpacked tree, squashfs or OSTree, but not a tarball or an
>> OCI image), then there's no reason it couldn't also be bootable as a
>> stateless live system.
>
> It might be useful to some that we'll have a 'standard' image for Debian
> Live Buster. This is a base image with Debian standard that doesn't
> contain any desktop environment. It ships with d-i with a module that
> just unsquashes the squashfs image (just like the other live images), so
> it's a really quick and convenient way to get a Debian system installed
> on bare metal.
>
> -Jonathan

This is more or less what my openstack-cluster-installer is doing:
booting a live image over PXE+HTTP, and install Debian from there. See:

https://salsa.debian.org/openstack-team/debian/openstack-cluster-installer

which I'm going to present in Curitiba at Debconf 19.

The only bit which I don't have is the use of pre-built images to
install on a system. But that could be done. That's what fuel was doing:
prepare image on the PXE server, copy them over the network.

If we are to build such a new installer, then *please*, let's think
about building clusters as well, not just individual desktops.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)